Call for help

I spent another interesting weekend assembling the spider framework. It was quite the challenge because it is extremely large and trying to do it on my own our back garden just adds to the fun of it all. It went well and despite a wet day on Sunday I managed to get something up and standing on my Monday off (yay for valentines day). It is mostly solid but it has an alarming amount of twist around the vertical. I’ve tried to reduce this with some cross braces from the fist joint back to the body and I’ll need to assemble it again to see if it works. While it’s up I’d like to add the cardboard cladding to the body to see how that is going to work too. But I’m going to need a hand or two.

I’ll be taking the spider over to NSME on Sunday 20th Feb at 1pm and will be assembling it there and hopefully getting it to look a little bit like the final spider we want. If you’re in the area please drop by and lend a hand it would be most appreciated, there is plenties of screwing, measuring and cutting to be done (in cardboard and wood) so lots to keep people occupied, plus you’ll have the satisfaction of helping this project actually get to maker faire.

Spider Frameworks

After discussions with the Maker Faire people last week it appears it’s going to be a bit tricky to take the whole spider along to Newcastle. We can erect it outside the stadium but we need to be able to prove that it isn’t going to blow away which is apparently a little more than just looking at the vast weights in the feet and saying ‘That looks heavy enough’. So we struck a compromise deal which suits us pretty nicely. We’ll only take the front half of the spider and we’ll prop it up against a wall inside the venue. then we can set up stall underneath it. Suits us in many ways because the front half is already made and it will be easier to transport.

I realise it’s not overly worthy of an update post but I spent 20 minutes this afternoon doing a quick framework test. I screwed some of the longer pieces together to test my plans for the joint. It’s pretty strong but would benefit from a matching plank on the other side of the joint, so I shall head back to Wickes tomorrow to buy the rest of the wood and something suitable for the job. Hopefully I’ll have more to show by the other end of the weekend.

(and yes I realise that first image shows it resting on a window ledge but that does simulate the additional leg joint that will be going down there)

Spider Bot Update

Spent some time this week assembling the leg panels that I cut last week. This is the first time I’m able to see how big these box sections are going to be and what we actually have to transport up north for the maker faire. These are only 4 of the legs currently put together but as you can see in the other images, the sections for all 8 legs have been cut.

There is discussion with the Maker Faire people about how much space we have available. So potentially we have offered to only assemble the front half of the spider. This is appealing because all the work for this has already been done. I’ll happily go on and do the rest but there are many projects I could also be working on, so this is put on hold until we hear more.

Spider Head Trial

Been a while since the last spider update, there was a pause over Christmas where I ran out of cardboard. My problems were solved with a trip to Halfords, they get lots of bicycle boxes which are all massive and double thick cardboard. I’ve started to turn these into the legs for the spider bot and have currently cut the pieces for the top two sections on all eight legs. I’ve decided to redo the first leg with this newer/nicer cardboard so all the legs will be similar.

The design for the wooden frame is also complete but it will take a little effort to assemble it and I’m still a little worried about how much weight it will have to hold and the 6.5m span between them, guess there will be another trial at some point and a test leg or two.

This evening I complete parts of the head and then tacked the parts together to see what it would all look like. Photos are still being added to the album of course.

Cardboard Features

I just noticed that I hadn’t put up a post about the leg and facial features that Phil and I made (probably 2 weeks ago now). We started with a single leg section, the smallest of the bunch and it’s still mahoosive. It’s going to be an interesting project and I suddenly realised we’re going to need a lot more cardboard. So I’m scouring Freecycle and approaching the usual suspects. What I really need though is a single large piece for the head. I really want that to be made from one as it is a nice curve. It’s 0.8 wide and 2M long, if anyone spots a suitable piece then nab it.
The photos are in the usual picassa album and a few sampled below