Spider Bot Update

Spent some time this week assembling the leg panels that I cut last week. This is the first time I’m able to see how big these box sections are going to be and what we actually have to transport up north for the maker faire. These are only 4 of the legs currently put together but as you can see in the other images, the sections for all 8 legs have been cut.

There is discussion with the Maker Faire people about how much space we have available. So potentially we have offered to only assemble the front half of the spider. This is appealing because all the work for this has already been done. I’ll happily go on and do the rest but there are many projects I could also be working on, so this is put on hold until we hear more.

Spider Head Trial

Been a while since the last spider update, there was a pause over Christmas where I ran out of cardboard. My problems were solved with a trip to Halfords, they get lots of bicycle boxes which are all massive and double thick cardboard. I’ve started to turn these into the legs for the spider bot and have currently cut the pieces for the top two sections on all eight legs. I’ve decided to redo the first leg with this newer/nicer cardboard so all the legs will be similar.

The design for the wooden frame is also complete but it will take a little effort to assemble it and I’m still a little worried about how much weight it will have to hold and the 6.5m span between them, guess there will be another trial at some point and a test leg or two.

This evening I complete parts of the head and then tacked the parts together to see what it would all look like. Photos are still being added to the album of course.

Cardboard Features

I just noticed that I hadn’t put up a post about the leg and facial features that Phil and I made (probably 2 weeks ago now). We started with a single leg section, the smallest of the bunch and it’s still mahoosive. It’s going to be an interesting project and I suddenly realised we’re going to need a lot more cardboard. So I’m scouring Freecycle and approaching the usual suspects. What I really need though is a single large piece for the head. I really want that to be made from one as it is a nice curve. It’s 0.8 wide and 2M long, if anyone spots a suitable piece then nab it.
The photos are in the usual picassa album and a few sampled below

(Very) Late entry

I received a very late entry for the robot competition from Manny Jasus this morning. He is well aware that the competition was closed but wanted me to post it up anyway, since he already worked on it. It’s a shame because this robot would work very well, towering over the people visiting the maker faire.

In other news the spider bot is still progressing nicely, I have now done all the facial features and am slowly realising the scale of this bot. It’s crazy but cool at the same time. It has got a 6.5m leg span, it will be 2m between the floor and the belly and 3m on top (10ft robot after all). The bum will be 2.5m x 2m x 2m or to put it another way, the size of a car. Still working out the finer details of getting it into a car, supporting it all when assembled and where we’re going to get the rest of the cardboard from but good progress none the less.

New photos can be found here

Featured Maker

I feel proud to say that one of our makers was featured on instructables this week. After a busy weekend of making Matt came up with a DIY version of the wine bottle puzzle. Clearly the instructables people thought it was a good idea too and it became a featured instructable shortly after it was posted. The actual article can be found here http://www.instructables.com/id/Wine-bottle-puzzle/ and here is a piccy of it